What is Beyond Mastery? How to Stand Out in Your Field
To Stand Out in any field You Need to Know Your Sh*t!
Exploring the very edge of what is possible is always a fun conversation… but making it real, bringing it back to the game of actually living a day to day existence that makes a difference for you, your family and the community you live in, that is the challenge!
When you start to address mastering anything, what you will discover after the different phases of accomplishment is that mastery is an on-going state… if you are a master, you are always practicing and the more you practice the more the little nuances, the trimtabs will matter.
Making Your Dreams Real Takes Learning
5 Stages of Mastery
- Beginning :When we first start to learn something we make gross movements… large movements without finesse or grace and there will be regular mistakes.
- Minimally Competent: After a while you will begin to be graceful, more elegant and focused… there will be less mistakes.
- Competent : After a long time, you will notice a monotony of thinking, as if mastering something was a dull or mindless state… but do not be fooled. This practice time is incredibly important… you are beginning to embody your art!
- Virtuoso: A true expert in your area of practice. Here you are innovating in the field and adding to the body of knowledge but not necessarily teaching or even aware of what makes you so brilliant.
- Master : Finally we get to a state of peace and focus and the actions and movements, even the thoughts that took us so much attention when we began, are now in the background… they are part of what we “know” and no longer have to be thought about at every movement.
What is Beyond Mastery?
At this point, you are a master… now what?
So what is beyond mastery? What is possible once we master our craft? This is where a true master will start to mess around a little. Experiment and explore the fringes of the art. In business we call this innovation. We start to make slight changes that can change the art altogether…can even create a new type of art…
Beyond mastery there is discovery of the unknown… there is only what’s next. However, without mastering the rules and structures first, true innovation tends to be accidental.
This is where we get to look over our shoulder at the folks who are struggling along behind us and discover what support we can provide to help them along. Find your passion — children, disadvantaged, elders who once worked in your field and know a huge amount, teenagers, girls, women, boys, or men, single moms, single dads; And find a way to give them that little bit of support that changes everything. One way is to remember what you would have given anything for, if someone like you had taken them under their wing.
You can volunteer, write a book, mentor at Score, become a coach, write a blog, do a podcast. The medium is up to you. The satisfaction is amazing and your legacy is in motion.
What Does It Take?
- Patience — Regular, consistent time changes the game. 30 minutes a day is enough to start
- Scheduling Time – Put it in your calendar — if you are busy, then even more important
- Practice — Dig in an get better at what you are already good at!
- Sharing — We learning much better in groups. Feedback makes us better! Don’t go it alone!
That’s all it takes! So go get it!